These “rules” are adapted from this post, but they’ve been updated and linked here for easy access and for newcomers. I tend to update them from time to time as my views on the blog change.
Taco’s Too-Cool-For-School Blog Mandates 1.5
Last Updated: October, 2022
1. Purpose: As of right now this blog is written for me, not you. Yes, you – unless you’re me. The entire idea behind this blog is not to make money or even generate traffic. It’s to keep a record of my life, because I have a cool life and so do you (if you have a blog-diary, please let me know so I can e-stalk you as well). So generally speaking, when I refer to “You” I’m actually talking to some future version of myself, but due to the magical blend between formal and informal “you” in the English language it works well for anyone else reading it as well.
2. Style: I have horrible spelling and grammar – even on my good days. For this blog, I probably won’t spend much time checking either of those things. If that bothers you, then well, deal with it.
3. Content: I have an odd sense of humor that may or may not be offensive to you at times. I also embellish things to make them more fun to write about. If you’re looking for a blog that recounts events with 100% historical accuracy, then you are in the wrong place. I also
might will whine sometimes pretty much constantly, that is sort of what blogs are for. Most importantly, don’t ever rely on anything you read in this blog. It may or may not be a complete and utter distortion of reality. 😉
4. Frequency: I cannot guarantee I will post frequently, or that my posts will feature amazing stuff on a daily basis. When you aren’t traveling the world or fighting Nazi zombies, you kind of have to just blog about whatever you have before you, kind of like a diary, see point 1. I have had a periods of 2 posts per week and I have had periods of 2 posts per year so don’t place much expectation on old Taco’s posting frequency.
5. Comments: Feel free to comment on anything you wish. WordPress tells me when comments come in, so I’ll see it (at some point). HAL becomes angry if too many comments go unnoticed and I really prefer not to be stuck outside the airlock again. However, sometimes my spam filter stops working and when that happens I turn off comment notifications. So don’t feel as though I’ve insulted your honor if it takes me like 2 months to reply to you. I have had to “lock” older comments due to some weirdly angry people but recent posts are still fair game. If you can’t see a comment form it’s because the comments for that post have “timed out” – not because you in particular were denied posting privileges (unless you were, which I have not done a single time in 10 years save for spammers). The present schedule for comments being locked is 1 year from the posting date, so plenty of time to rage if you wish.
6. Photography: I post a lot of photos on my blog. You’ll notice I don’t plaster lame MS paint watermarks over them, but if you want one I’d prefer you ask before just stealing it. Plus, due to storage limitations all the photos I post on Dinosaur Bear are reduced to 50% of their original size and quality. Therefore that cool landscape photo you wanted is probably going to look quite bad if you expand it. So if you see a photo you like, just ask, and I’ll probably be happy to give you the high-res original.
7. Subscribe: If you like this insanity that I write then you really should subscribe to the blog. Now, I make no money from this blog at all so there’s really nothing for me to gain from having subscribers aside from e-wee-wee. However if you don’t want to subscribe because your inbox is full of gracious Nigerian Princes and porn, then check out the “Recent Posts” section to make sure you haven’t missed any posts. I don’t like having billions of posts on one long scrolling page, so if it’s been a bit since you visited you may have posts that you haven’t seen that aren’t immediately visible. You could always just check out the “Archives” as well. If you don’t like the insanity that I write then I sincerely doubt you’re bothering to read the rules page on a blog. I mean what the heck is a blog rules page after all?
If you want to subscribe, it’s on the the main page as well as right here: